There are plenty of resources out there for keeping our dogs in good health during the hots spells we have in the UK. Albeit few and far between when it’s hot it’s bloody hot. June and July are going to be hot & unbearable for me, but what is it like for our dogs and what can we do to help them?
- Plan your time, you owe it to them. If you need to go out, don’t take the dog! Its hot enough outside never mind in a car that is basically a heat chamber in this weather.
- Walk before 0700 and after 2000, or at least the times when its cool.
- Provide water and make sure it is always fresh, dogs prefer fresh water, trust me.
- Make sure they can rest in shade.
- Don’t play with them or over exercise them in any way, let them rest.
- Keep your pets coats well looked after. Keep them bathed, coats clean, matt free and well combed or brushed depending on their coat requirements.
- If you can’t walk them during the cool weather then don’t walk them and reduce their food.
- It is usual that your pet may not want to eat as much in this heat.
- Bear in mind if you are going away and your dog is going into kennels, is this the right thing to do?
AND IF YOU NEED TO BE TOLD DOGS SUFFER IN HOT CARS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OWN ONE.
This is a short and sweet blog, but an important one, please LOOK AFTER YOUR PETS IN THIS WEATHER.
And remember bunnies too! Google fly strike…